[TUHS] Documentation Call Numbers and Meanings?

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Fri Oct 7 14:34:15 AEST 2022

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 2:05 PM segaloco via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> Good afternoon folks, linked is a list of all of the call numbers of
> UNIX-relevant documentation that I've been able to catalogue lately:
> https://pastebin.com/DbDAhX3W
>
> This isn't exhaustive, I skipped many documents under dept (assuming dept)
> 305, 306, and 308, focusing mainly on 700, 301, 307, and 320.
>
> I was wondering if anyone that has some knowledge of the numbering system
> used for these documents in Bell might be able to comment on this in any
> way. What I've been able to make some determination on is:

The numbering system seems vaguely similar to BSPs (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_System_Practices).

There are top level BSP sections for the 3B2 and 3B20 among other
interesting history to this community.  For some reason the telephone
community hasn’t done a good job of digitizing the complete BSPs nor a
modern index (I physically browsed an index from the early 90s but someone
disappeared it from where I did so).  I’ve heard are private collectors
with complete collections of some vintage.