[TUHS] Re.: Princeton's "Unix: An Oral History": who was in the team in "The Attic"?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Oct 11 23:59:31 AEST 2022

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 7:49 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 01:15:38PM +0200, Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS wrote:
> > There is also another anecdote involving Atkinson. At some point all
> Apple programmers had to file a weekly report with how many lines of code
> they wrote that week. After a productive week of refactoring and
> optimising, he filed a report saying "minus 2,000 lines".
>
> We bonused people for that.

I love commits like this, thought it wasn't refactoring so much as deleting
obsolete code...

commit c09981f1422ef0d44042dacc5d1265392fba39f1
Author: Warner Losh <imp at FreeBSD.org>
Date:   Thu Dec 30 20:56:09 2021 -0700

    mips: Remove sys/mips

    Remove sys/mips as the next step of decomissioning mips from the tree.
    Remove mips special cases from the kernel make files. Remove the mips
    specific linker scripts.

    Sponsored by:           Netflix
 594 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 134,562 deletions(-)