[TUHS] LOC [was Re: Re: Re.: Princeton's "Unix: An Oral History": who was in the team in "The Attic"?

Charles H Sauer (he/him) sauer at technologists.com
Wed Oct 12 06:33:24 AEST 2022

On 10/11/2022 3:14 PM, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2022 13:10 -0700, from lm at mcvoy.com (Larry McVoy):
>>> Isn't it relatively well established, though, that IBM culture at
>>> least for a very long time put heavy emphasis on counting lines of
>>> source code, and that more SLOC was considered to be better?
>>
>> That's just stupid.
>
> You're getting no argument from me there.

It was likely true that some parts of IBM put heavy emphasis on LOC, but
as Marc points out, that wasn't true in Research. I don't remember heavy
LOC emphasis in AIX groups, and I suspect even in Boca (OS/2) there was
not "heavy" emphasis.

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/Twitter: CharlesHSauer