[TUHS] Has this been discussed on-list? How Unix changed Software.

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Sep 7 11:40:04 AEST 2022

Doug, Larry et al,

Thanks very much for the history - unaware of those stories/ facts.
I’ve scanned the 1989 Miller et al paper, will read properly soon.
The legacy of that paper is the extensive automatic testing now commonplace in large Open Software projects.

I wasn't clear in what I wrote. Have been immersed in early papers of teaching the kernel at UNSW :(
Reminds on this list precise terms matter: that “Unix” / UNIX (tm) and "the kernel" (+ version) are very different.

I meant the V5 / V6 kernel was ‘known defect free', hadn’t thought of Userland / utilities & libraries :(
From what I’ve read: distribution tapes, pre-USG, were created from the current copy of ’the system’ - not sure which machine that was, presumably one controlled by Ken.

Is that a reasonable statement, the kernel, pre-USG, had zero (known) Technical Debt when shipped?

I’ve read that Ken wrote the kernel with an eye to it being a coding exemplar.
Deliberately wrote consistent, high quality code.

Is that another mis-interpretation of mine?

regards
steve j

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design