[TUHS] Has this been discussed on-list? How Unix changed Software.

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Sep 7 14:00:22 AEST 2022

Marc,

the first I.T. Recession in Australia occurred in 1991.
It was the first economic recession where corporates couldn’t easily save money by “automating” - all the low-hanging fruit - like Inventory, Payroll & Accounting - had been computerised, at least by companies that’d survive.

Thanks for mentioning the IBM OCO - I’d left mainframe by then.

Your insight about the ’social contract’ ring true - never heard that before.
Since that first recession, the regard managers have for I.T. / Computing staff - embodied in wages & conditions - has declined markedly outside business where software & systems are their business.
The hype and over-expenditure on Y2K, then the Dot Crash, resulted in a 5 year I.T. recession in Australia - and a very jaded attitude towards I.T. and their budgets within the Corporates I know.

The deskilling and mediocre work of programmers and support staff alike doesn’t seem to improve whole-of-enterprise productivity.

Your summation of the Professional response to the dissolution of the ’social contract’ is very insightful. Explains the rapid rise and proliferation of OSS in the 1990’s.

stevej

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)