[TUHS] STDIN/OUT vs APIs [was: How Unix changed Software]

Charles H Sauer (he/him) sauer at technologists.com
Thu Sep 8 02:01:19 AEST 2022

On 9/7/2022 10:43 AM, John Cowan wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 11:39 AM Joe <joe at celo.io <mailto:joe at celo.io>>
> wrote:
>
>     That page reminds me of CMS/Pipelines, a beautiful Rexx-like language:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMS_Pipelines
>     <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMS_Pipelines>
>

> In that case, however, it was a matter of what anthros call "stimulus
> diffusion".  The CMS people read the Unix BSTJ issue, thought "We should
> do that", and wrote it.

That last sentence is literally true, based on page 63 of
http://www.leeandmelindavarian.com/Melinda/25paper.pdf, and I can easily
imagine Peter Capek doing as cited on that page. However, the general
acceptance by "CMS people" was belated/begrudging, as CMS Pipelines
weren't available outside IBM to any customers until 1986 and not
available in U.S until 1989.

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/Twitter: CharlesHSauer