[TUHS] The USL Toolchest from the 80s and 90s

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Thu Sep 15 14:23:11 AEST 2022

"Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)" <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> Clem Cole writes:
> > --000000000000a07c7c05e831d57d
> >
> > Mike Haertel's quest for the 5620 tools got me thinking.    Does anyone
> > know of an archive of the USL Toolchest at large?
> [...]
> >  IIRC the final
> > edition of PCC2 was released as part of it.
>
> And wasn't there a version of rogue lurking there as well?  I have
> memories of sneaking that past Accounting on an invoice that included
> a couple of other, more legit, things we downloaded.
>
> --lyndon

"new" awk was available there, as was Chris Ramming's awkcc, and ksh88.
The awk book from 1987 has instructions and the phone number for logging
into the toolchest. IIRC you set up a UUCP account in order to get
the software transferred.

I think Emacs for Unix (not GNU Emacs) was also available. I don't
remember too much more.

Arnold