[TUHS] The MGR window system and the Macintosh

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Sep 17 08:51:11 AEST 2022

On Thu, 4 Aug 2022, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 18:56:23
> From: Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>
> To: Bakul Shah <bakul at iitbombay.org>
> Cc: Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net>, tuhs at tuhs.org
> Subject: [TUHS] Re: The MGR window system and the Macintosh
>
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2022 at 04:21:28PM -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:

>>> Is that your site? Or someone else's.  The URL tends to indicate the latter.
>>
>> I believe that is Andy Valencia's site. He is the author of VSTa microkernel.
>>
>>> I ask because I'd be happy to mirror it on my site.
>>
>> I think Usenet bits are archived on archive.org. For instance:
>> https://archive.org/details/cdrom-usernet-sources-newsgroups-1994-10-1
>>
>> You can also find them on googlegroups but don't know what damage they may
>> have done.
>
> Oh, the damage that Google has done to netnews is immense.  Remember
> dejanews?  With their spiffy search interface that would let you look for
> stuff in date ranges?  Yeah, google bought dejanews, killed the search
> (because theirs was "better", it most definitely is not), and then did
> google groups which is complete garbage.

My current boss was a news admin at Dejanews and was there during
their end days.  I was the sysadmin for the datacenter (SMARTNAP) that
DejaNews was co-lo'd in.  Everyone wanted to peer with my news server
since it fed directly into Dejanews' stuff which was a couple of racks
down from my stuff.

Google bought Deja and ruined it.

IXC Communications bought SMARTNAP and ruined it.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX