[TUHS] Early BSD license thread

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Sep 22 00:58:11 AEST 2022

Yea, if you look at the license statements from the 80s and early 90s from
USENET and the BBS scene, you'll see
that evolution playout. If you subscribed to the 'trade rags' of the 80s,
you'd find them talking about Copyright some,
but not much about licensing, so there were a huge number of 'licenses'
that we'd laugh at today as being
totally insane / unenforceable / unclear / etc... There were also some
presentations at DECUS in the mid 80s
(and maybe earlier) on the topic as well as their distribution of tapes got
large enough...

There was also a pointer to Jeremy C Reed's
http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/2013/12/Features186.html
as well as his book on BSD history
http://www.reedmedia.net/books/bsd-history/ (which I'd love to get a copy
of).
It wasn't clear if it had been published or not from the link

I'd love to see John's handout...

Warner