[TUHS] [TULSA] Re: python

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Fri Aug 4 07:02:21 AEST 2023

Phil Budne wrote in
 <202308031657.373GvVvW008640 at ultimate.com>:
 |I come not to praise Python...
 |
 |I picked up Python (v1) in the early 'aughts as a more readable
 |alternative to Perl and Ruby (non-alphanumerical variable names are a
 |non-starter for me).

That thrilled me!  empty? instead of is_empty(), d! instead of
log_this_string_if_debug_is_enabled() (which could be
LogThisStringIfDebugIsEnabled() even, or another damage)!
It (i did not know anything about Plan9 and people who use greek
letters and other math symbols as variable or function names)
inspired me sustainably:

  au Filetype c,cpp :iab <buffer>   $!    /*!  \_*/<Esc><Insert><Left>
  au Filetype c     :iab <buffer>   $!W   su_log_write(su_LOG_WARN, "");<Left><Left><Left><C-R>=__gobble()<CR>
  au Filetype cpp   :iab <buffer>   $!W   log::write(log::warn, "");<Left><Left><Left><C-R>=__gobble()<CR>

(Not a vim master.)
Their yaml help files were a pain (for me; especially since the
structure was there, yet the content was missing).

  ..

--steffen