[TUHS] Split addressing (I/D) space (inspired by the death of the python... thread)

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Fri Aug 4 07:05:58 AEST 2023

Both V6 and V7 used split I/D on the 45 and 70 where it as available.
  You had to specify that you wanted it in your build, the choices were
the 407 flagged. a.out, which had a single text/data/bss space
(unspilt).    410 which still ran in one address space, but put the text
in read only segments so they could be shared.   411 ran the executable
in split I and D space.

The original use of the “sticky” bit in the inode mode indicated that a
410 or 411 program text would be held in swap.

-Ron