[TUHS] Split addressing (I/D) space (inspired by the death of the python... thread)

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Aug 4 09:15:16 AEST 2023

I probably should add one more thing...  RT11 and RSX, and in particular
the DEC FTN compiler, supported thunks and overlays - i.e. larger-sized
programs before UNIX did.  IIRC, they needed them because by then the FTN
subsystem needed overlays to run itself. So .. assuming my memory is
correct, this was the reason why Fred rewrote the V7 code, and DEC pushed
it out as part of the v7m release.  Ken's original overlay support code was
not sufficient for the DEC language tools.

I don't remember if Ultrix-11 or v7m for that matter, ultimately got the
FTN compiler.  That said, Paul W might remember as he did the linker work
for Ultrix moving the VMS linker to Ultrix to support the 'Technical
Languages Group' (TLG ).  Utrix-32 certainly did get FTN I think a couple
of other of the RSX and RSTS languages, but my memory of Fred's work was to
support overlays in V7 so it could support it.  This was all during the
Unix wars inside of DEC.  Fred was part of the 'Telephone Industries Group'
(TIG) in MRK.
ᐧ