[TUHS] python

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 01:04:16 AEST 2023

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 9:58 PM Adam Thornton <athornton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What we've done on my current project is pretty much equivalent to the route Go chose.
>
> Go has go fmt; doesn't matter what you personally believe, just run that pre-commit, and you get a consistent style.  For Python we use black.  Same idea.  It's not what everyone would have chosen--in fact, precisely what it does is not what *anyone* on the project, probably, would have chosen--but the fact is, it does something sane and pretty readable, and then there's no fighting over style.

This.

I despised Google's C++ style standards, but I respected them because
they allowed Google to scale to hundreds of millions of lines of C++
code that was at least intelligible to more or less anyone who worked
there. After a couple of months, people stop noticing the sharp edges
and differences from their personal styles.

The decades spent arguing over where to put the braces seem wasted, in
retrospect.

        - Dan C.