[TUHS] when did v8 or later get networking?

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Aug 10 13:17:25 AEST 2023

> > > TCP/IP, not datakit.
> >
> > The V8 manual contains internet(3), tcp(3), and udp(3). In the copy I have these are dated 8/7/85. Down in the kernel in /usr/sys/inet the earliest files appear to be dated 3/22/85. I'm going to do a comparison with the 4.1cBSD TCP/IP stuff because a casual glance reveals some overlap.
> > - Matt G.
>

> Yea, I thought it was 4.1bsd + later tcp code but with a STREAMS instead of Socket interface...
>
> Warner

This comment at the top of /usr/sys/netinet/socket.c is illuminating:

> /*
>  * socket emulation routines
>  * pretty much 4.2 sys/uipc_socket2.c
>  */

All of the files that have timestamps at the top list 83/07/29, except ip_input.c which has 83/08/16 instead.  The V8 version has _device (device driver) and _ld (line discipline) components that the 4.1cBSD code does not have.  Many other files have analogs between the two.  The byte ordering subroutines have been copied into a file, goo.s, from their home in 4.1cBSD in the C library (/usr/src/lib/libc/net/misc).  When this work originated someone else would need to answer, but looks like it was as Warner described, modified 4.xBSD TCP/IP.

- Matt G.