[TUHS] when did v8 or later get networking?

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Sun Aug 13 02:12:32 AEST 2023

Universal Receiver Protocol, the protocol that Sandy Fraser invented for Datakit. The best description of it (imho) is the patent:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/37/a9/70/46f8c44ebd4e3a/US4852127.pdf

At first the patent is very focused on hardware implementation, but towards the end it gives the algorithms in pseudo-code.

Sandy Fraser wrote a 1993 retrospective paper “Early Experiments with Asynchronous Time Division Networks”. This paper includes a short summary of the origins of the universal receiver protocol, and how it evolved through 3 main steps. Unfortunately behind a paywall.

The implementation for 8th edition (some 750 lines) is here:
https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V8/usr/sys/dev/dkp.c

I think early Plan9 had an implementation of URP as well.