[TUHS] PDP-7 and Interdata 8/32 Bell System UNIX Installations?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Tue Dec 19 17:35:45 AEST 2023

Warner Losh wrote:
> Matt G wrote:
> > Are there any documented or remembered instances PDP-7 or Interdata
> > 8/32 UNIX being installed on any such machines for use in the Bell
> > System aside from their original hosts?
>
> I've been told it ran on a couple of pdp-9s at bell labs with the
> right disk controllers. The original one was a pdp-9 controller
> retofitted to work in the pdp-7. There was only ever 1 pdp-7
> installation back in the day.

The back story here is approximately something like the PDP-7 being left
over from development of William Ninke's Graphic II display systen done
in cooperation with DEC.  There was previously a Graphic I built around
a PDP-5.  DEC later made the GT40 (aka Graphic-11) based on a PDP-11/10,
and the Graphic-15 for the PDP-15.