[TUHS] Compatibility question

Rod Bartlett via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Dec 21 13:53:21 AEST 2023

> On Dec 19, 2023, at 4:31 PM, Paul Winalski <paul.winalski at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Yes, the 1403 was very loud.  The pitch of the noise varied with the
> sequence of characters being printed.  Some IBM hacker (yes, they
> existed) came up with a deck of cards that, when printed, played
> "Anchors Aweigh" on the 1403.  IBM field service wasn't very keen on
> this hack because it put a lot of wear-and-tear on the print train.

The holidays always seemed to feature people running programs which played festive songs by punching fully laced cards or printing patterns on the line printers.  Whenever I noticed something, I'd ask the operators to kill those programs because they could cause equipment failures.  A fully laced punch card is much more flexible and likely to jam.  Printing all columns on a printer, especially doing so without a line feed, tends to moisten the paper which tended to gum up the print trains.

Those line printers were definitely noisy.  I've got tinnitus thanks to working around them.

 - Rod