[TUHS] Unix game origins - stories similar to Crowther's Adventure

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:30:50 AEST 2023

All,

I just saw this over on dragonflydigest.com:

https://0j2zj3i75g.unbox.ifarchive.org/0j2zj3i75g/Article.html

It's an article from 2007 about the history and genesis of the Colossal
Cave Adventure game - replete with lots of pics. What I found
fascinating was that the game is based on the author's actual cave
explorations vis a vis the real Colossal Cave. Gives you a whole new
appreciation for the game.

My question is do y'all know of any interesting backstories about games
that were developed and or gained traction on unix? I like some of the
early stuff (wumpus, in particular), but know nothing of origins. Or,
was it all just mindless entertainment designed to wile away the time?
Spacewar, I know a bit about, but not the story, if there is one...
Maybe, somebody needed to develop a new program to simulate the use of
fuel in rockets against gravity and... so... lunar lander was born? I
dunno, as somebody who grew up playing text games, I'd like to think
there was more behind the fun that mindless entertainment... So, how
about it, was your officemate at bell labs tooling away nights writing a
game that had the whole office addicted to playing it, while little did
they know the characters were characterizations of his annoying neighbors?

If you don't mind, if you take the thread off into the distance and away
from unix game origins, please rename the thread quickly :).

Thanks,

Will