[TUHS] Unix game origins - stories similar to Crowther's Adventure

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 01:22:29 AEST 2023

Rich,

When you mentioned empire and Peter Langston, I was confused, but then
realized there were probably two empires. My dad introduced me to the
other empire (Walter Bright's) way, way back when (Original version was
on PDP-10). It's probably my favorite text game of all time.

The c version vms-empire still builds and runs today (on my mac), these
days it's all fancy ascii, back in the day it was pure text, IIRC:
-------------
Choose a difficulty level where 0 is easy and 99 is hard: 99

Your city is at 1797

EMPIRE, Version 5.00 site Amdahl 1-Apr-1988
Detailed directions are in EMPIRE.DOC
Cannot open saved game: No such file or directory
++.  16
+O.     R
+..  18

Bright's touchy cuz folks are always taking credit for work he initially
did - independently of Langston, one must note :), but the story of its
development is interesting, nonetheless:

http://www.classicempire.com/history.html

Will