[TUHS] Proper use of TUHS (was Re: Typesetter C compiler)

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Sat Feb 4 03:11:42 AEST 2023

On Fri, 3 Feb 2023, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Some things will never go away, like keep your fingers off of my L1
> cache lines.  I think it's mostly lost because of huge memories, but
> one of the things I love about early Unix is how small everything was.
> Most people don't care, but if you want to go really fast, there is no
> replacement for small.
>
> Personally, I'm fine with some amount of "list about new systems where
> we can ask about history because that helps us build those new systems".
> Might be just me, I love systems discussions.

I find a lot of my own stuff is like this - kindasorta fits and kindasorta
doesn't for similar reasons.

(Since a lot of what I've been doing lately is creating a SysV-flavored
rewrite of Unix from my own perspective as a 40-something who actually got
most of my experience coding for 16-bits and MS-DOS, and speaks fluent but
non-native C.  I'm sure it comes out in my coding style.)

-uso.