[TUHS] Origins of the SGS (System Generation Software) and COFF (Common Object File Format)

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Fri Feb 24 04:38:25 AEST 2023

For the sake of timelines:

June 1980 - Publication date on the front page of the 3.0 manual in which the utilities are still very much research for PDP-11 and 32V-ish for VAX where distinctions matter.

June 1981 - Publication date on the front page of the 4.1 manual in which the man-pages very much refer to all of this as the "3B-20 object format"

June 1982 - Publication date on the front page of the 5.0 manual by which point these same pages had been edited and extended to describe the "common object file format"

Additions at the 1981 release include dump(1), list(1), and the ld-prefixed library routines for managing these object files.  These likewise persist in 5.0, SysV, and beyond as COFF-related tools.

So this puts the backstop of what would become COFF at at least '81.

- Matt G.