[TUHS] Origins of the SGS (System Generation Software) and COFF (Common Object File Format)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sun Feb 26 05:34:09 AEST 2023

arnold at skeeve.com wrote in
 <202302251928.31PJSXc1004140 at freefriends.org>:
 |Arno Griffioen via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:
 |> On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 05:45:16AM -0700, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
 |>> With tar and cpio, ar apparently fell out of use as a general
 |>> archiver, and today it's only used for libraries of relocatable
 |>> object files.
 |>
 |> 'ar' is alive and well as the archive format for .deb files though, \
 |> so it
 |> could be argued that it's actually hugely in use as an archiver all \
 |> across
 |> the world :)
 |>
 |>        Bye, Arno.
 |
 |I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

It is also used during the build phase of some programs (groff
last i looked).  Ie they build their support objects, and instead
of having make rules with $(OBJ) they simply link against the
library.  (I have not looked whether they build with -fPIC
/ -fPIE, to outrule your "relocatable", that is.)

 --End of <202302251928.31PJSXc1004140 at freefriends.org>

--steffen