[TUHS] Generational development [was Re: Re: Early GUI on Linux]

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Feb 28 06:04:36 AEST 2023

Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS <tuhs at tuhs.org> wrote:

> I wonder to what extent this is a generational thing though. Maybe
> today’s twenty-somethings spend their days in front of Xcode, VStudio,
> Eclipse, etc. more than using multiple terminals.

For sure. And it's also the 30- and 40-somethings. In my experience
over the past 18 years, almost nobody in those age groups is comfortable
with a terminal or screen editor, even though they often work in
environments where a command line is all they have (ssh, and/or
docker exec).

The IDE is for coding and searching files, and maybe Notepad++
for finding stuff in non-code files (log output).

IMHO the dependence upon IDEs is crippling; they cut & paste to the
almost total exclusion of the keyboard, including when shell completion
would be faster.

It's terribly sad.

Arnold