[TUHS] Generational development [was Re: Re: Early GUI on Linux]

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 07:22:04 AEST 2023

[COFF]

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 4:16 PM Chet Ramey <chet.ramey at case.edu> wrote:
> On 2/27/23 4:01 PM, segaloco wrote:
> > The official Rust book lists a blind script grab from a website piped into a shell as their "official" install mechanism.
>
> Well, I suppose if it's from a trustworthy source...
>
> (Sorry, my eyes rolled so hard they're bouncing on the floor right now.)

I find this a little odd. If I go back to O'Reilly books from the
early 90s, there was advice to do all sorts of suspect things in them,
such as fetching random bits of pieces from random FTP servers (or
even using email fetch tarballs [!!]). Or downloading shell archives
from USENET.

And of course you _can_ download the script and read through it if you want.

And no one forces anyone to use `rustup`. Most vendors ship some
version of Rust through their package management system these days.

        - Dan C.