[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jan 1 15:25:49 AEST 2023

On Sat, Dec 31, 2022, 9:38 PM Jonathan Gray <jsg at jsg.id.au> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 07:55:28PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 5:55 AM Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > The "assembly code in the Bourne shell" comment is in the same
> > > London/Reiser paper. The full quote is:
> > >
> > > "The (Bourne) shell is the standard user command interpreter. It
> required
> > > by far the largest conversion effort of any supposedly portable
> program,
> > > for the simple reason that it is not portable. Critical portions are
> coded
> > > in assembly language and had to be painstakingly rewritten. The shell
> uses
> > > its own sbrk which is functionally different from the standard routine
> in
> > > libc. The shell wants the routine which fields a signal to be passed a
> > > parameter giving the number of the signal being caught; signal was
> also a
> > > private rou- tine. This was handled by having the operating system
> provide
> > > the parameter in the first place, doing away with the private code for
> > > signal. The code in fixargs (for constructing the argument list to an
> exec
> > > system call) had to be diddled."
> > >
> > > The files in the V7 tree on the Tuhs website are dated January 1979,
> so it
> > > would seem that the fixes for 32V were immediately taken back to
> Research.
> > > As you point out, this means that the comments above do not refer to
> the
> > > well known source code, but to a predecessor of that (which I don’t
> think
> > > survived).
> > >

> > We have ample evidence that V7 was really something more akin to a
> rolling
> > release. Let me explain: We know from the leaked '50 changes' tape that
> > many of the features were set earlier rather than later. This leaked in
> > 1978 (if my notes are right), but I found references to it from as early
> as
> > November 1976 in
> > http://www.toad.com/early-usenix-newsletters/197611-unix-news-n11.pdf.
> This
> > was 18 months after V6 was released, but over 2 years before V7 was
> > released. In addition, we know from the AUUS newsletters in the archive
> > document that the V7 release process process took a while to get through
> > AT&T's legal department (IIRC a year, but I've not gone back to the AUUS
> > newsletters to refresh my recollection). A big push of V7 was to make it
> > portable as well (with AT&T doing an Interdata 8/32 port themselves, as
> > well as at least looking at the Wollongong Interdata 7/32 port and the
> > Harvard VM/370 port). In talking to Kirk and others that have been around
> > from approximately that time, 32V was widely viewed as V7 for Vaxen. We
> can
> [...]

And at 5:18 he says he had a vax lab with three vaxen and the Lab's vax
port didn't have virtual memory. Bill Joy with 3BSD which had virtual
memory. They installed it on the vaxen because they were hitting physical
memory limits for some of their programs....

This suggests that the 32V in the TUHS archive is a later one than this
early port. 3BSD is listed as being released end of 1979...

Still begs the question of when 32v started paging.  :)

But the time lines match up for the 32v effort to be fed back into the
research code base...

Warner