[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Jan 3 02:51:20 AEST 2023

On Mon, Jan 02, 2023 at 11:25:06AM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> Like Larry, I have always been a meany and I have tried to make darned sure
> my folks (even to this day - we will see how long that last after I retire)
> use V7 syntax scripts - not bash, not even korn.

I think it is less of an issue today but if I were still supporting a
multi platform product, I'd still insist on it.  Ya never know when a
big pile of money is going to show and insist that you work on SCO
based cash registers or something.   Every.  Single.  Time. one of
my engineers whined that they liked bash better, we'd hit on some
supported platform where /bin/sh is not bash.  And as we shipped
scripts that people expected to work, you can't fix their /bin/sh.

I won that argument over and over and eventually we all instinctively
wrote portable scripts.