[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jan 3 04:11:45 AEST 2023

Maybe this should go to COFF but Adam I fear you are falling into a tap
that is easy to fall into - old == unused

One of my favorite stores in the computer restoration community is from
5-10 years ago and the LCM+L in Seatle was restoring their CDC-6000 that
they got From Purdue.   Core memory is difficult to get, so they made a
card and physical module that could plug into their system that is both
electrically and mechanically equivalent using modern semiconductors.   A
few weeks later they announced that they had the system running and had
built this module. They got approached by the USAF asking if they could get
a copy of the design.  Seems, there was still a least one CDC-6600 running
a particular critical application somewhere.

This is similar to the PDP-11s and Vaxen that are supposed to be still in
the hydroelectric grid [a few years ago the was an ad for an RSX and VMS
programmer to go to Canada running in the Boston newspapers - I know
someone that did a small amount of consulting on that one].
ᐧ