[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

G. Branden Robinson g.branden.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 06:24:22 AEST 2023

At 2023-01-02T14:34:22-0500, Rich Salz wrote:
> The difference is that "make" need only run on your build systems.
> Installation scripts need to run on customer systems.

Surprisingly (not really), I don't agree with this, either.

make, like tsort, is a generally useful tool that people misconceive as
being limited in scope to traditional compile-and-link software
development.

A dab of imagination and familiarity with existing tooling can save one
much wheel reinvention.

That said I don't doubt that some vendors happily took these tools in
particular (along with the compiler, of course) and locked them up
within a "pro" or "development" tier.

But all that teaches us is something we should have already known: free
software is better than proprietary software.  Why _shouldn't_ customer
systems have make(1)?

Regards,
Branden