[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Jan 4 06:21:32 AEST 2023

On Tue, 3 Jan 2023, Warner Losh wrote:

> Not all fixes to appease warnings fix anything. But enough do that it's
> worth it.

I consider warnings to be potential errors, and act accordingly; one place
where I worked insisted that code could not be checked in unless it passed
"-Wall" (no guarantee of course, but a good start).

> The one caveat here is that people must understand the warning and that
> any change makes things better. There is nothing worse than just tossing
> a cast in to brute force it, only to later discover it's the wrong cast
> or you needed a different semantic change.

Yeah, that's just painting over the cracks; it's like replacing a fuse
that keeps blowing, or rebooting a box without fixing the bug (what I call
the M$ Solution).

-- Dave