[TUHS] A few comments on porting the Bourne shell

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:41:29 AEST 2023

I was today years old when I learned that GNU sort has a -h option.  Which
doesn't mean "help" but means "use human-friendly units."

Except I sort of derived its existence from first principles.  Someone
wanted a way to find disk hogs (they were on a Linux box), but also wanted
SI units, and I said to myself, "self, doesn't that sound like exactly the
sort of baroque and vaguely nauseating option that GNU would add to sort?"
Turns out it is.

Well, I mean, the MacOS man page just says that -h is an extension to POSIX
(yes, it's there on MacOS too), but I will eat a small hat of mine if it
didn't come to sort via GNU.

Adam