[TUHS] Maintenance mode on AIX

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Thu Jan 19 02:27:50 AEST 2023

The thread with a similar name reminds me of this story.    My little
company did a lot of special work for IBM (Federal Sector) from putting
a second network card into Secure XENIX to porting the 370/PS2 AIX to
two i860 cards.

Occassionally, we’d get random other IBM hardware dropped on us.   One
day an RS/6000 showed up.   The problem was that they didn’t give us any
indication what the logins were (let alone the root password).   Being
the long time security “investigator” that I was I started poking around
at the thing while waiting for IBM to call me back.    The thing had a
key switch that switched you from power OFF to NORMAL ot a WRENCH icon
(maintenance mode).    So I powered it up in the wrench mode.   The
thing booted up Unix but rather than a shell gave some maintenance
program.    I poked around at the options hoping for something that
would be useful for me without luck.   One option was to view the
documentation so I brought that up and it displayed some text.    The
neat thing (for me) was that it used ‘more’ to paginate it.   Sure
enough, when I got to the end of the first page, I could just hit ! at
the prompt and get a root shell.    It was then pretty easy to get the
machine set up to our liking.

-Ron