[TUHS] AIX moved into maintainance mode

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 00:42:38 AEST 2023

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 15:56, Ralph Corderoy <ralph at inputplus.co.uk> wrote:

> The fine article ends with

*Heh*

>    ‘Which means that the last officially trademarked commercial UNIX™ is
>     Apple's macOS 13, which underneath the proprietary GUI layer is mostly
>     an open source OS called Darwin anyway.  The kernel, XNU, is based on
>     Mach with an in-kernel "Unix server" derived from FreeBSD...’
>https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/17/unix_is_dead/

Indeed it does. I wrote it. Thanks to Arnold for posting it.

I am getting some grief on Twitter too for "omitting" FreeBSD. I
didn't, but the BSDs don't fit either definition of "Unix". The
pre-1993 one being "based on AT&T code" -- after all, BSD (4.4 Lite r2
was it? Before my time!) -- went to a lot of effort to eliminate AT&T
code. The post-'93 definition, after Novell donated the trademark to
the Open Group, is "passed Open Group testing". Nobody has the time or
the inclination to pay, and indeed, why should they?

I hope to return to the subject of the BSDs in general on the Reg in future.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053