[TUHS] AIX moved into maintainance mode

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 20 01:20:16 AEST 2023

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 8:04 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> I had already been using Linux for a while by then I believe.  I used
> it before it had networking.
>
> Pretty early on I got to be friends with Linus and was really impressed
> with his leadership.  That's what sold me on Linux, he was the thing
> that was missing in the BSD world.  If someone like him had appeared
> and unified the BSD world I think we'd all be running BSD.

By the time even 4.3BSD was released, there were dozens of people that
could work on the kernel at a high level of skill. There was no one person
who created it who could have the gravitas to pull that off. Let alone a
decade later when it was freed up, by then there were hundreds. The
dynamics of the situation were quite different: Linus always was in charge
because he wrote the whole thing...  BSD was a victim of it's own success
in the 80s and 90s in a way...

Warner