[TUHS] AIX moved into maintainance mode

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Fri Jan 20 11:22:57 AEST 2023

I guess this is the best place to jump in: I've been working for some time
on a stupid idea, and it involves both the System V code (in the form of
Solaris, although I've been attempting to theseus it out) and the BSDs.

One thing I've said a few times elsewhere is - if you want to do something
daft, not only are you on your own, but people will actively not only
dissuade but derail you from trying to do it.  I felt the best way to get
what I wanted was to try to isolate the kernel and libc (and perhaps
bootloader) from one of the BSDs and attempt to make them buildable
through a system of plain makefiles, to integrate into the rest of my
concept (this also includes, fwiw but unrelated, clang).  If you're
familiar with Linux From Scratch - you can probably see what I'm doing,
although it's not at all using the same code.  A lot of the time I keep
running into "we don't want mere mortals working at this level" type

Yeah, I know it's daft.  But I still want to do it. ;p

In fact, back in the Linux 2.4 days, I *had* a proof of concept.  But it
ran on Linux and used a lot of "ersatz because copyright" which is no
longer needed (e.g., because ksh and CDE weren't available).

I want my own flavor of Unix, basically... 🤪

The apparent death of System V is a double-edged sword for my idea.  It
means it's all the more useless - but in becoming *useless*, it also
ceases to be *pointless*, in my estimation.

-uso.