[TUHS] The death of general purpose computers, was - AIX moved into maintainance mode

segaloco via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Sat Jan 21 02:24:50 AEST 2023

If that means I don't have the whole jumble of other problems I'd have with owning a traditional smartphone, I can deal with actually turning it on and off with a full boot cycle.  Frankly the "always on" kinda disturbs me, so just one more thing I get better control of.

Not to drift the conversation too much though, towards the end of general purpose computing, I like that idea too because the particular single board I have in mind (a RISC-V one I've got) also has a traditional HDMI port and 4 USBs, and ethernet, so if I do it right, I have a mobile that I can also plug in K&M and a monitor to and use at a desk.  Society can pry my desk computing from my cold, dead hands, I've never felt as productive using a computing device in any other context.

- Matt G.