[TUHS] FD 2

Rob Pike robpike at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 08:56:16 AEST 2023

I will let others respond with specifics, but that was there in v5 at least.

One of the many shocks I had on arrival at Google was that in production,
fd2 was pretty much standard output, as all the logging went there. And
since our machines were still 32-bit CPUs then, it was common to overflow
the offset because the logging output was, well, not parsimonious. It felt
like I'd entered bizarro world, until I realized that few anywhere really
knew how Unix was supposed to be used. And they still don't, and never will.

-rob