[TUHS] interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Mon Jan 23 13:32:52 AEST 2023

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>
>> I think there was one particular dc clone...guy whose name started with
>> a G? and his version did that.
>
> On my ancient MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2010, High Sierra 10.13.6):
>
>    mackie:~ dave$ dc
>    (^D)
>    mackie:~ dave$ dc -V
>    dc (GNU bc 1.06) 1.3
>
> On my ancient FreeBSD server:
>
>    aneurin% dc
>    (^D)
>    aneurin% dc -V
>    dc (BSD bc) 1.3-FreeBSD
>
> Nil prompt in both cases.
>
>> Most Linux versions use GNU's which Does The Right Thing®™©.
>
> Perhaps so, but I try to avoid using Penguin/OS and GNU...  I don't like
> its licence conditions ("free" it ain't), and I would rather write my own
> libraries than be constrained by Stallman's conditions.
>
> -- Dave

I've dealt with fanboys telling me how to do GPL on my own stuff, and it
left a sore taste in my mouth.  I don't care about the stuff I *use*, but
it did leave me very negative about the GPL itself, and if it seems that
some of the OS-building stuff I've been talking about here and elsewhere
has anything to do with a grudge against GNU,...well...it does.

Still, GNU does seem to have more respect for precedent than a lot of
johnny-come-lately coders trying to reimplement stuff themselves.

-uso.