[TUHS] interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac

Joseph Holsten joseph at josephholsten.com
Tue Jan 24 07:08:47 AEST 2023

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023, at 06:15, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 10:41 PM George Michaelson <ggm at algebras.org> wrote:
>> I should also also add, Mac has >>> as  Rob noted. FreeBSD doesn't
>
> Hmm, interesting. I wonder what version of macOS you both are running?
> My old trashcan Mac (soon to be replaced!) is running the
> next-to-most-recent version and doesn't have the `>>> ` prompt. My
> laptop, running the latest (Ventura?) does.
>
> I don't think I blame Apple for this, but rather something upstream of them.

Per https://opensource.apple.com/releases/, they switched from
macOS Monterey 12 with GNU bc 1.06 https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/bc/tree/bc-21/bc
to macOS 13 with GH bc 4.0.2 https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/bc/tree/bc-26/bc

I suspect this is similar to the replacement of bash with zsh for GPL avoidance.

Interesting timeline though, https://git.yzena.com/gavin/bc/src/tag/4.0.2 was released in 2021-05-01, https://git.yzena.com/gavin/bc/src/tag/5.0.0 in 2021-08-08.