[TUHS] Fwd: How did Bell Labs start to work on Project MAC?

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 03:16:14 AEST 2023

[Bcc: to TUHS as it's not strictly Unix related, but relevant to the
pre-history]

This came from USENET, specifically, alt.os.multics. Since it's
unlikely anyone in a position to answer is going to see it there, I'm
reposting here:

>From Acceptable Name <metta.crawler at gmail.com>:
>Did Bell Labs approach MIT or was it the other way around?
>Did participating in Project MAC come from researchers requesting
>management at Bell Labs/MIT or did management make the
>decision due to dealing with other managers in each of the two
>organizations? Did it grow out of an informal arrangement into
>a format one?"

These are interesting questions. Perhaps Doug may be in the know?

        - Dan C.