[TUHS] Setting up an X Development Environment for Mac OS

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jan 26 07:25:32 AEST 2023

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 3:38 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Do any of the really early versions of X (and W) still exist?

Not that I  have found.   I looked a couple a years ago.  FWIW: I would be
surprised if any of it was in CLU, because the first version of X was a
redo from synchronous W protocol to the async one Bob did.   If I remember
it correctly ... W as for the V Kernel on the Stanford (68K based) Sun
Terminal,  that  Paul Asente and Brian Reid did at Stanford (in C). The
Paul and Chris Kent at DEC (either WRL or SRC I foirget which) took it and
made it work on a VS100 and microvax. That version when to MIT via the
Athena connection and Bob rewrote the back-end creating the X from W.

Shortly after that Gettys brought the Microvax X version out to me in
Westford where, he, Jack Burness and I got it running on a 68K based
Masscomp over a weekend fairly soon after Jack his first version of his new
BITBLT primitive working - which until then we lacked (it was pretty cool
how quick it came up).

Clem
ᐧ
ᐧ