[TUHS] Earliest UNIX Workstations?

Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS tuhs at tuhs.org
Thu Jan 26 23:15:15 AEST 2023

>> * What do I really mean by workstation? Ex.gr. If an installation had a
>> PDP-11 with a single terminal and operator, is it not a workstation? Is
>> it the integration of display into the system that differentiates?
>
> I remember people calling something a workstation,
> if it has the four "M"
>
> at least 1 MByte memory
> at least 1 megapixel display
> at least 1 mbit/s network
> can't remember the fourth(was there a fourth?)

I remember it as:

at least 1 MByte memory
at least 1 megapixel display
at least 1 MIPS
cost at most 1 mega penny (10K, maybe 35K in today’s money)

That matches with Wikipedia, for whatever that is worth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3M_computer
but note that it talks about 3M not 4M.

With hindsight, not adding in networking speed looks strange -- but maybe the world had already settled on LAN speeds above 1Mb/s by 1980 (Ethernet, ARCNet)