[TUHS] Earliest UNIX Workstations?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Jan 27 02:04:20 AEST 2023

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 04:58:11PM +0100, Paul Ruizendaal wrote:
> - I am not sure what graphics software ran on the SUN-1, but it must have been something

Probably SunView, that's the first one I saw.  It was

	SunView
	OpenLook (SunView ported to X11)
	CDE
	NeWS

I used either straight X11 or OpenLook but replacing the window manager
with twm and then ctwm.  Did the same thing at SGI, I hated all the
fancy desktops each vendor did.  In the days of 4MB or 8MB or even
32MB desktops, all that "fancy" used memory that I needed for actual
real work, like building the kernel.  Straight X11 with a simple window
manager gave me a lot of memory back.

I viewed that fancy stuff as stuff for people who didn't do real work.
A bit of a snob, I was :-)