[TUHS] Earliest UNIX Workstations?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Fri Jan 27 04:15:32 AEST 2023

Warner Losh wrote:
> If this is the Standford Unix Networked (?) sun, then I don't know.

Stanford University Network workstation.  I have seen some documents
about it on stacks.stanford.edu, but I don't remember about the
software.  In some versions, it's a more of a multi-head remote graphics
terminal, so maybe not Unix.

>  - Wikipedia says that X1 was 1984 and X11 was 1987; I’m not sure when it
>  became Unix centered
>
> I believe very early. It ran first on the VS100

Note that the VAXstation 100 is not a VAX, and not a standalone
computer.  It's a 68000-based graphics terminal that attaches to a VAX.
The VS100 has some firmware in ROM, and the host uploads additional
software.  There is such a software blob in X10R3.

> There was also a pointer to a blog about pictures of the W window
> system. None exist, it seems.

I have asked Asante, Reid, and Kent.  No luck so far.