[TUHS] [off-topic] Anyone still using USENET?

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Fri Jan 27 18:53:44 AEST 2023

Hi.

I've been using trn for decades to read a very few USENET groups. Until recently I've
been using aioe.org as my NNTP server but it seems to have gone dark. Before that
I used eternal-september.org, but when I try that I now get:

| $ NNTPSERVER=news.eternal-september.org trn
| Connecting to news.eternal-september.org...Done.
|
| Invalid (bogus) newsgroup found: comp.sys.3b1
|
| Invalid (bogus) newsgroup found: comp.sources.bugs
|
| Invalid (bogus) newsgroup found: comp.misc
|
| Invalid (bogus) newsgroup found: comp.compilers

And those all are (or were!) valid groups. If anyone has suggestions for a good
free NNTP server, please let me know. Privately is fine.  I'm at a bit of
a loss otherwise.

Thanks,

Arnold