[TUHS] Earliest UNIX Workstations?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Fri Jan 27 20:59:34 AEST 2023

> Stanford University Network workstation.  I have seen some documents
> about it on stacks.stanford.edu, but I don't remember about the
> software.  In some versions, it's a more of a multi-head remote graphics
> terminal, so maybe not Unix.

In the 1980 document, it's described as a single 68000 serving up to 16
seats.  "only the basic Pup Telnet protocols need be implemented on the
workstation's MC68OOO processor.  The SUN terminals could then be
programmed to emulate currently available terminals, such as Datamedias,
Telerays, Tektronix 4014 graphics terminals, or III displays."
https://stacks.stanford.edu/file/druid:gg867qx3134/gg867qx3134.pdf

But by 1982 it looks much like a classic workstation.  "The SUN Memory
Management Unit has been designed to support a multitasking operating
system such as Bell Lab’s UNIX."
http://i.stanford.edu/pub/cstr/reports/csl/tr/82/229/CSL-TR-82-229.pdf