[TUHS] [off-topic] Anyone still using USENET?

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sat Jan 28 20:15:12 AEST 2023

On Saturday, January 28, 2023, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling at kev009.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 1:54 AM <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've been using trn for decades to read a very few USENET groups. Until
>> recently I've
>> been using aioe.org as my NNTP server but it seems to have gone dark.
>> Before that
>> I used eternal-september.org, but when I try that I now get:
>>
>> | $ NNTPSERVER=news.eternal-september.org trn
>> | Connecting to news.eternal-september.org...Done.
>> |
>> | Invalid (bogus) newsgroup found: comp.sys.3b1
>> |
>> | Invalid (bogus) newsgroup found: comp.sources.bugs
>> |
>> | Invalid (bogus) newsgroup found: comp.misc
>> |
>> | Invalid (bogus) newsgroup found: comp.compilers
>>
>> And those all are (or were!) valid groups. If anyone has suggestions for
>> a good
>> free NNTP server, please let me know. Privately is fine.  I'm at a bit of
>> a loss otherwise.
>>

> I maintain inn and some related ports for FreeBSD.  I run a public server
> at csiph.com and am happy to provide accounts or peering to interested
> parties.  Read access is open.

Great initiative and idea! While I am personally not interested in reading
USENET that much nowadays, the concept of providing free, public access to
classic Internet services (public USENET, FTP, IRC, finger, etc.) gets all
my praise. What happened to free, public services these days? Everything
appears to to be subscriber pay-as-you-go based. The commercialization
killed the free spirit of Internet we all loved in the 90s.

PS> And I also love the layout of your website. Plain HTML with no fancy
css, js bloat; classic colors with white background. I miss it on the
Internet. These modern color themes with dark backrounds is getting harder
and harder to read and is just awful if you ask me.

--Andy