[TUHS] FD 2

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jan 30 23:26:48 AEST 2023

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 2:50 AM <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

What I really like is how in V8 - V10 /dev/tty was a (sym)link to /dev/fd/3,
and init simply did one more dup call. That eliminated the special tty
device
driver and was a lovely generalization / simplification.  It's too bad this
was never picked in the commercial Unixes or in Linux.

That's problematic.  I often need to redirect 2>&1 in order to get a stream
of both output and error into a file or into less(1), without interfering
with *input* from the terminal, as for example a password.