[TUHS] FD 2

Brantley Coile brantley at coraid.com
Tue Jan 31 05:12:37 AEST 2023

I have my own theory on why Plan 9 never caught on. It was never productized.
It was a modern system arriving right at the post modern age emerged so it
didn't resonate with the folks who were doing things. It was too early to
be recognized as a cloud operating system, which is what it really is.

I say "is" because we actually use it and have done so since 1995. We still
ship appliances based on it. We do all our development on it. I have dumps
on our file server (Ken's) going back to Jun 22, 2004.

I can't really know for sure, but I think those are the three reasons:
never made a product, modern not post modern, too early for the cloud.

Brantley Coile