[TUHS] Some old DECtapes from Dennis Ritchie

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Sun Jul 16 12:35:22 AEST 2023

On July 11th, Warren wrote:
> All, way back when, Dennis sent me some DECtape images to look after. I've
> put some of them in the Unix Archive (the s1 and s2 tapes) as they contained
> Unix source code or binaries. The others I kept aside as they didn't contain
> Unix code, or they were potentially sensitive.
>
> .... I've decided to put
> all the tapes that Dennis gave me here:
>
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Dennis_Tapes/

In https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Dennis_Tapes/README

Are notes (apparently written by DMR):
    dmr
            Random stuff from my directory.  Most probable dates: 1972.
            pig.b is an interesting artifact:  it is a B program
            that echoes what you type in Pig latin.  (Incidentally,
            there is a translation of this program into C, dated 1978,
            in a subdirectory that still spins on a disk attached to
            the Unix machine where I get my mail.)

This jiggled a nerve in my brain, that FINALLY connected.

The TMG manual in the Multics System-Programmer's Manual by Robert
R. Fenichel and M. D. Mcilroy, pub. April 17, 1967 has a sample TMG
program to translate english to Pig Latin.

https://people.csail.mit.edu/saltzer/Multics/Multics-Documents/MSPM/bn-4-02.670417.tmgl-reference.pdf#page=31

    It appears (in translation) as a test to a port of PDP-11 TMG:
    https://github.com/amakukha/tmg/blob/master/test/086_pig_latin/pig_latin.t

I haven't yet compared pig.b to the program in the TMG manual.