[TUHS] Cool talk on Unix and Sendmail history, by Eric Allman

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Jul 22 08:30:17 AEST 2023

On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 05:14:57PM -0500, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 7/21/23 1:53???PM, Rich Morin wrote:
> >Lessons Learned from Sendmail
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1MAO6jOLE
>
> Thank you for sharing that video Rich.
>
> The credits are finishing now.
>
> A surprising amount of Eric's talk resonated with me.  I find it
> entertaining that he and I are doing strikingly similar things with email,
> both MTA and MUA, for seemingly similar reasons.
>
> Thank you again.

I think it was pre-COVID but I had a gathering of systems people at my
place in the Santa Cruz mountains and Kirk and Eric were there.  I ended
up talking to Eric for quite a while and what went through my mind was
"This is so pleasant, I'd hire this guy or happily work for this guy.
He gets C like I do and likes it like I do".  It really was super
pleasant to realize I'm not the last guy who wants to use C for
serious work.

I suspect we're dinosaurs but we're cut from the same clothe dinosaurs.

A few pics here, not up to my usual level but whatever:

http://mcvoy.com/lm/2019-bsd-bbq/
--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat